Monday, July 23, 2007

Challenge your characters.......

Hi all,

You still all with me?

*looks out into the darkness of internet land*

Good. I’m glad:)

Well, I'm sorry but things have been rough this summer. I've had some personal problems and it's been difficult keeping up with things.

But I had an idea for a post. And so it goes....

OK. So you're writing. And you've got great characters. You've done a timeline so you know what happens during which century. And you even have an outline of how the book is going to go (what happens where). So things look good for you. At least on paper.

But I've read so many books where the characters were wonderful but not much happened to them. In other words, they had interesting characteristics (conceited, religious, loyal, etc.) but these characteristics couldn't shine because nothing was put in front of them to bring these to the forefront. There was not much conflict or if there was, it was predictable and one knew what would happen to the characters and the choices that they would make to deal with their problems. Or, if the characters were presented with a conflict, it might have been an interesting problem superficially but, the real issues were glossed over in the writing and perhaps, the characters did not experienced as deeply as they should have been, making for a boring or even for, an unfulfilling read.

I guess then, the ‘suggestion’ to all the writers reading this blog is to bring situations to the characters that allow them to explore the facets of their characterizations more deeply and with more rich, complex emotionality. Not only will this make the writing of your piece go quicker but the reader who also likes your character(s) will also be more interested in them and in the universe that you’ve created.

As you all know, I am a huge vampire fan and there is at least one television series slated for this Fall’s release (besides the excellent “Blood Ties” which is running on cable). When I see the announcement of these series I always get excited because, as a writer, I think up all the possibilities and scenarios that can occur with the interesting characters. But then, sometimes, there is no follow up and nothing is sadder than seeing good characters go to waste with bad scripts. I'm hoping this isn't the case this Fall. Nothing is better than a good vampire series:)

I’m starting my second book of my Dracula-Phantom of the Opera series. And while I have already had my characters deal with some very unique situations, my hope is to further extend and to create more, different obstacles, goals, etc. so that the characters can achieve their full potential. When you have created good characters, never be afraid as a writer to set the bar high. Your characters will achieve. And so will you.

Take care all,
Chris

No comments: