Thursday, June 7, 2007

This Old Manuscript (some thoughts on editing).........

Hi all,

As professional writers, we all go through the editing process. It can be easy at times. It can be grueling at others. But as I've been editing, I've been struck by how much it can be compared to remodeling one's home (hence the title of this blog entry).

For example, I think it's easier to remove words (reduce word count) than to add them. Again, this is easier to do this feat as well in construction (faster and less time consuming to tear down an existing building than to build a new one).

Also, it is not too difficult to change phrases or a few short paragraphs in the novel. This is akin to someone walking into your house and saying "Ah, you know, I don't like the color of the living room. Can you change it?" And you smile and nod and say "Sure, of course," because yeah, it's rather easy.

However, someone could also walk into your home and say "Um, I just don't like the bathroom here. Can you move it over here?" And much like in home remodeling, you start and sigh and go "OK" but really you're thinking "Wow, this is going to be difficult. Because yes, it is hard moving large chunks of writing around on a page.

Or sometimes, even, if the foundation of a story is shaky, much like in remodeling a home, one has to tear down the house and pour a brand new foundation. While this latter is an analogy for totally rewriting something, I think you all are beginning to see the similarities between editing and remodeling.

So, the next time your editor asks "Can you spice up the language here?" you know he/she is really saying "The home needs more flowers in the garden/more pictures on the shelf." And much like in home redecorating, that's not too hard to do:)

Take care all,
Christine

1 comment:

Aersi said...

I love this metaphor. ^_^

While I don't write fiction, I've noticed that with my academic papers its usually harder to add things to a draft than to cut from one.