Friday, August 17, 2007

Two quick thoughts.........

Hi all,

Just wanted to mention two things that I was thinking about:

1. Anyone who's ever been in a job interview can tell you that there's one question that is almost invariably asked: So where do you see yourself in 5/10 years? And, as a writer just starting out I also thought about this question in relation to what I see myself writing about 5/10 years later. As you all probably know from reading my blog, my main love is reading and writing in the vampire fiction genre. There are two ways to think about this then, I could either write a series inside one universe or I could write a series of say a series of vampire romance books all within different universes. Right now at least, I have to say, the more I write my Dracula-Phantom cross universe, the more I’m enjoying my characters. I really love to write about the four ‘main’ characters (Erik, Christine, Dracula and Mina) but I’ve also created an entire group of original characters as well (Lucy, Dracula’s adopted daughter in my present day universe, you‘ll all ‘meet‘ her later in my series) and do enjoy exploring them more in detail with each new story that I write.

Therefore, I guess I just wanted to say that I think I’d love to continue to write in my one universe, extending it up and through the present day (covers almost 100 years). I’m also a huge romance fan and do enjoy reading in this genre. However, right now, I don’t see myself as writing novels/stories of different couples in different ‘universes’. I have so much I’d love to explore in my Dracula-Phantom cross universe, that I do think I can be writing about this for some time to come. So yeah, just thought you’d like to know which direction I’m headed in. Hope you all come along for the ride:)

2. In addition to being a huge Dracula/vampires fan, I’ve also been a Springsteen fan for over 20 years. So, one day, I sat down and thought. Are my passions related in any way, if at all? After some thinking, I decided that I like Springsteen (and his music, think he’s a genius when it comes to lyric writing) because he often writes songs from a male POV about what it’s like to look at a beautiful woman and want to be her lover but not, for some reason, be able to speak with her, become her lover. And that’s interesting because it sort of ties into my interest in the Phantom (Erik) character. Because listening to several of Springsteen songs, I thought, yeah, the narrator of the song could be him (the Phantom). And I guess that’s how my music and writing interests are connected:)

Take care all,
Chris

No comments: